Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Second letter from Papa Craig



Your Uncle Mark, you haven't meet him yet, came to Florida a couple of years ago. He claimed there were no fish near Hutchinson Island. Don't listen to him, a caution you will hear many times in your lifetime.
I went surf fishing this morning, and caught over 25 bluefish. They are from a 1-1/2 to 2 feet long, and weigh 3-4 pounds. Richard, Uncles Dave's cousin, caught another 20 or so. I already cleaned and froze 10 from yesterday so we just released them, not counting a couple small ones we fed to the pelicans.
I feel like I have rowed a boat for many hours, so we are taking a break from fishing, and will just watch olympic hockey instead.
By the way, pelicans are very odd looking, but smart. When they eat a big fish they throw it up in the air, and it comes down head first. That way all the fins fold up against the fishes body, instead of poking the birds throat.
I had to buy a new fishing pole, 10 feet long, because you have to cast it 70 yards or more, over the surf. That might also explain my aching shoulders. Grandma Pam is now sick with a bad cold, which I gave her, so she is staying in the condo. Hopefully, she will feel better next week when it is going to be 75-80 degrees.
Hopefully you can come down here when you get a little older, and see all this for yourself.
Give your Mom and Dad a hug for Grandma and me,
Love Papa Craig

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if Papa Craig would like to help with the carp invasion heading for the Great Lakes. There are carp recipes online, so I guess you can eat them. Great grandpa Ed used to fish in Michigan all the time; smelt, coho, whitefish, etc. Wonder what he would have thought of carp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! This works. Have never posted to a blog before! I actually figured it out!

    ReplyDelete